Sunday 26 August 2012

What is our Motive?

Dear Saints

     I think of when a cell phone or any other battery operated device needs to be charged up in order to be strong and most useful, we need to do this for ourselves ever so much more.  I know when I am recharged and strengthened in Him, I do this by taking time to evaluate my motive to live to please Him and being honest to answer the question: "Why do I do what I do?" I believe when we take time to reflect our lives and understand why we do what we do to give God the glory, it gives us strength because their is real value when we live for Him.  It is ironic that the value this world tries to fit each of us to think that when we do things for ourselves, it is most valuable to us.  I don't believe the Bible teaches that we can't look after ourselves, but it is when we consume all of our time on our "selves" to the point we fail to see how we can live to be a blessing to others.  The Bible, which is Gods perfect instructions for our lives always instructs us to live with balance.  I also believe that when we live so much to serve others that we forget to look after ourselves, this is not good either.  Anything taken out of balance is neither good, whether it appears to be good or not (Job 31:6 and Prov 11:1).  

     In 1 Pet 5:8, Paul mentions that when we live out of balance, we are prey to the one who is roaming around, seeking whom he may devour.  I always believe that we cannot be as useful to others when we live out of balance and fail to take the time to look after ourselves or love ourselves in a balanced way.  The devil wants to make people believe that just because we do things for ourselves, we are being selfish.  But yet, he will also make people believe when we look to live to bless others, we fail to ever be fulfilled ourselves.  This is why we always tend to give in to his deceptive ways when we live out of balance.  When we need to look after ourselves at times, we should never feel guilty about that, because we need to look after Gods temple.  Our body is Gods temple which He purchased with His very own blood He shed for us.  Therefore, we are His and we need to look after what belongs to Him.  The Bible talks about how we need to live in balance and not live to the extreme on anything.  The flesh always tends to want to do "all or nothing".  
     When I take the time to evaluate why I do what I do, it helps me to live with balance.  God is not as much interested in just what we do, but why we do what we do.  While man who looks at the outward appearance, God judges the heart of man, which is why it is important that we need to take time to reflect and evaluate our motive.  Here are some findings I gain when I take time to reflect and examine my motive:
  • It helps me to stay the course if I have wandered away off the track.  For God tells us that the road that leads to life is narrow.  Therefore, it is easy to get off track when we don't take time to examine our motive.  But God is always interested to keep our ways on track and refrain from going off to the right or left (Joshua 23:6);
  •  It helps me to remember what is important in life and not get so caught up in agendas that matter very little.  It reminds me how Christ Himself tells the Pharisees and Saducees that they swallow a camel and strain a gnat (Matt 23:24).  In other words, they failed to understand what is truly important in life;
  •  It helps me to correct the errors I have made and make things right with Christ, by repenting and receiving His help to keep me strong in Him.  If I am going through trouble in my life, this is where I may need to evaluate to see if I have not lived by His instructions.  In other words, am I going through trials because of my disobedience to God?  Or am I thinking and speaking negatively in my life when Gods Word tells me that life and death are in the power of the tongue?  We need to use this time to ask Him to help us if we have strayed away from His instruction of how to live;
  •  I am strengthened to refrain from sinning against Him when I take this time to meditate His laws until it gets in to my heart (Psalm 119:11);  
  • It helps me to reflect on what His will is.  Such as being greatful to Him with a thankful heart all because of His love for us.  He often needs to prove us through trials so we can receive His reward for being faithful.  It is through the hard times that we are proven faithful when we continue to do what is right, even though we may not initially get a right result, not when everything is always going easy for us;
  •  It helps me to realize where I need to grow the most and how I can better model Him.  I do this in order to not be disqualified and fail to be a blessing to one another.
     If we try to do good when it is not done for the right reason, do we think God is pleased?  Afterall, God not only knows what we do, but He knows why we do what we do.  It's like the Pharisees and Saducees often did.  They made alot of people think that they were doing alot of good because of what they did.  But Jesus was most displeased with them at the same time because He knew their intentions were of a selfish nature.  What they could pull the wool over peoples eyes, no one can ever pull the wool over Gods eyes...EVER!!  When I see the ministry God has called me to, I need to see the true value of why I do this.  Some of the reasons I have evaluated is because I like to encourage the broken hearted (of which I know there are alot of).  Many people need help and need to be encouraged, and I like to be used to bless people who need encouragement.  I like to see peoples lives renewed and restored in what I share with them.  I want people to know Gods goodness for them because of what He has done for me.  I want people to know that I am not an exception, but know what He has done for me, He wants to do for you.  I want to bring this hope that I have received to give you hope.  Ultimately, I want to give God the glory to testify that He is indeed the Greatest Builder for my very life.  However, I know I can easily be swayed if I don't occassionally reflect and evaluate my intentions, whether they are godly or selfish.  
  
     I know we can all be inundated with alot of messages here and there.  However, we can NEVER GO WRONG when we take time to evaluate and be sure that our motive is to bless others in their time of need, be encouragers to the broken-hearted and put a smile on Gods face simply because we love Him.  I want to encourage you to take time to reflect on what your motive is so you can focus on moving forward in the right direction and stay the course and receive the crown of life that will await those who love Him (1 Cor 9:24,25; James 1:12).   

Will you consider buying my books in support of HelpingCopeThroughHope mission work in Zambia?  You may go to my link below to observe.

In the Matchless Name of Jesus
Richard
Associate Director
Answers2Prayer
http://sites.google.com/site/greatestbuilderforourlife  

No comments:

Post a Comment